Sunday, March 2, 2008

Without that ring of truth

I'm a whopping 30 pages into Helping Me Help Myself by Beth Lisick. I snagged this one from the library under pretense of needing a good laugh due to xyz plus I was trying to read too many serious books that are still unfinished.
The writing borders on funny. Maybe for people who don't feel the poking and prodding of how unfortunately true her chronicled experience seems this early on, maybe it is absolutely hilarious. See, I almost miss that it's supposed to be "self-deprecating" funny because it almost sounds like my diary if I had one.
I don't know whether to hope that at the end her life is still horrible but at least she's disproved all those yay-sayers with a 'free to be, you & me' chorus or despite my cautious cynicism to still want that December chapter where the heroine realizes that even tho . . . blah blah . . . she still has love, family, etc. Hey, maybe that means I can scratch a novel off my list since it's already been done. I think my book would be called something like "Once upon a time . . . I was smart. I had potential." The at home amateur detectives could phone in their solutions to 555-LOST.


edit: I take it back. This is laugh out loud funny. No, no, not just your ordinary lol that gets attached to everything. I mean seriously disturbing people within 30 feet by sudden bursts of laughter, that funny. :D

1 comment:

Queen Such n Such said...

I am going to pick this one up so I can finally crack that air of mystique that attracts so many to you!